Monday, January 5, 2009

Foundational Focus

With 2008 now past and 2009 upon us, it’s a natural time to reflect on the past and look forward to the future. Last year was a year of turmoil for many and a year of abundance for a few. Believe it or not, some people actually had their best year ever financially! Not that finances represents the full measure of abundance but it is one of many pieces. I can’t say I’m in that boat but somehow it gives hope that there is a better tomorrow and that all things are possible for those who believe. But all these ups and downs where we somehow feel victorious or are reconciling with defeat, I believe are truly out of focus. Somehow, we’ve come to accept how we feel about our daily lives as the barometer of our closeness with God.


Isn’t it strange that when we feel things are going well, our prayer life, our selfless giving, our cheerful attitude tends to fade? (What I mean by selfless is the difference between giving out of your need or sacrificially vs. giving out of your excess.) And when things aren’t so well, we seek some sort of relief from God when what God wants all along is a steady and consistent relationship with us? He wants you to know that He will work it out (Proverbs 3:5-6, Romans 8:28). Times may be rough for a season, but keep your eyes fixed on Him and you’ll do well (Eccl 3:1-8, Prov 4:25, Psalm 119:133, Jer 29:11).


It reminds me of some friends that went deep sea fishing. They say one of the first things the captain would tell you is to look out at the horizon. By fixing your eyes out in the distance at the horizon, it will help you avoid getting seasick. The same applies to driving. When you look further out ahead, everything seems to slow down around you and you’re more in control of the vehicle.


God’s Word tells us to fix our eyes on Him and to build on the rock, on a solid foundation rather than the sand of the seashore (Luke 6:48). By no means do I feel like I’ve mastered this; it’s just a lesson that God’s been challenging me with for some time. And every time I think I’m getting closer, it seems a bigger wave comes to try and take me out. Nevertheless, I’ve committed my focus to remain on Him for 2009 and beyond.


Proverbs 3:5-6 - Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.

Romans 8:28 – And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 – For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.

Proverbs 4:25 – Look straight ahead, and fix your eyes on what lies before you.

Psalm 119:133 – Establish my steps and direct them by [means of] Your word; let not any iniquity have dominion over me.

Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

2 comments:

Lori Laws said...

Hi Jeff, a really great post! Something you wrote today, really spoke to me..."And when things aren’t so well, we seek some sort of relief from God when what God wants all along is a steady and consistent relationship with us? He wants you to know that He will work it out"

I know God wants more of my time.

KM Wilsher said...

I needed this today: Jeremiah 29:11 – For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Thanks for the post guys!