Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Times They Are A Changin'

The word change has been swirling around like desert dust devil. It has been spoken, expanded on, and has caused near hysteria. Change is coming, that’s for sure. But not all change is a good thing. And not all change is a bad thing. This month, we the people of the United States of America, voted into our highest public office, the presidency, our first African American man. This is a change that is good – very good. But I’m not so sure about the change he said he’d bring. When speaking to Planned Parenthood, he assured those in attendance, “The first thing I'd do as president is sign the Freedom of Choice Act. That's the first thing that I'd do.” (Senator Barack Obama, speaking to the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, July 17, 2007) This is a change that is not good, it’s horrifying actually.

I have said that I will pray for and support to the best of my ability, our new President. And I will, I am compelled to do so. After the election, I was crushed at the outcome, because of what it looked like for a couple of issues I am passionate about. But then God gave me peace and comforted me. He showed me that He is still God and He is still on the Throne. The changes in our country and specifically in our politics do not change Him, because throughout all eternity, He changes not. When I got this revelation, it felt as though a huge weight had been lifted off of me.

It wasn’t that I became a Pollyanna about the situation, but rather, I realized that while I was surprised by the results, God was not. And it occurred to me, that I do not have the mind of God. I don’t know what God intends to do through this. Obama claims to be a Christian, and he may be. I don’t know his heart and I am not his judge. But I do know this. God is not conventional and He doesn’t fit into all the neat little boxes that we try to put Him in.

So I started thinking more like this. What if? What if there was a radical conversion? Or what if there was a change of character? Or what if Barack Obama was actually a conservative in a liberal’s clothing? What if every penny spent, ounce of energy given, and hate-spewing word spoken by the radical liberals, actually went into electing a man who was not what they thought? Now that would be change I could believe in! I don’t know that any of that is true, but it wouldn’t surprise me too much, because God is not conventional. What if God…?

The point of all this though, is not about who our new President is. The point is actually about who our God is. Our country has always been built up on change. It has always grown and developed through change. Change happens all the time. Economies change, jobs change, people change, fads change, Presidents change, seasons change, and thank goodness, hair styles change! But God does not change. His character and His word are for always.

God is eternal. God is the foundation of our Nation. He always has been, and I believe He always will be. The roots of Christianity run deep and wide in the United States of America. It is like a Palm tree that sways in fiercest of winds, but which very rarely gets uprooted. I believe that God has not and will not turn His back on America, because He cares about America and He knows there is a remnant who are passionate for Him. Do not despair of the times ahead. We may not know what the future holds, but we do know who holds the future, and God is good, always.

Yes we are facing some challenging times ahead of us as a Nation. We have the opportunity to choose of overcome the challenges we face, by relying on God instead of a lame-duck President and Congress, or a President-Elect and new Congress. As Christians, out foundation should be built on Him, and He should be our Source – not the government. As Christians, we should worship Him, spend time with Him in prayer, and continue to point others to Him. As Christians we should stand for righteousness, and be sanctified – actually set apart from the rest of society, so that they see Him through us. As Christians, we should choose to do and say what is right, and fight to prevent our great Nation from being taken over by the enemy. With God, we can do all of this and more.

“Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.” ~ Isaiah 40:28

3 comments:

nitewrit said...

Tracy and Jeff,

What a unique Blog to read. You have gotten it off to a very good start, too. I have enjoyed reading the Isaac/Ishmael posts. I have to admit, this is an area I need prayer in, not jumping ahead too quickly. The Isaac/ishmael situation is a good reminder to us all to wait on the Lord.

I have no idea what changes lay ahead for our country, but I know what lies ahead for mankind from God's Word, so I wait with interest to see where this will all lead.

I look forward to continuing to read your Blog.

Larry E.

jeleasure said...

Hi Tracy and Jeff,
I got your blog link off of Larry E. from Nite Rite.

I guess Larry has been keeping you informed of what Barak is doing and is not going to do that he based his entire campaign on doing.

Larry may also have told you about the upcoming December 5, 2008 meeting the Supreme Court has on its docket to have a closed door session with the Supreme Court.

I've been talking a lot with Larry, so, if he has not told you, I will give him the opportunity.

Here is the link - Secular Music Vs. Christian Music to my newest blog entry.
Stop by and say hello. I'd like to exchange in hosting a link on our blogs.
Jim

Avily Jerome said...

Great thoughts, thanks Tracy!