Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Giving - Part 1

This season I’m in seems to be a time of reflection. Maybe it’s because I have a milestone birthday coming up – I will be turning 40 along with my wife this month. Maybe it’s simply the end of the year upon us. Or maybe it’s the loss of so much in this world, that so many are facing with the loss of homes, jobs, retirement plans, broken dreams and the families that come out of these difficult and stressful times.

With Thanksgiving come and pass, both Tracy and I felt it was a time to reflect on one of the things that the Lord calls us each to do and that is to be a giver. It doesn’t necessarily mean in finances; there are several ways to give other than money. But it does mean with the right heart. There are people, including me at one time or another, that give to get or give with reluctance, or just don’t give at all. It could be simple things like a smile to someone walking by in the store. Or giving someone space on the freeway to change lanes. We all know there are plenty of ways for people to give while driving! It could mean giving of your time and talents to someone that has a need. Opening your home for some Christmas cheer with your neighbors or helping hang some lights with your neighbor.

It’s easy to get consumed by the holidays and festivities; we all have the excuses. “I work 60 hours a week” or “What do I have to give?” Believe me, I know, it’s easy to come up with reasons why I can’t. I’ve used plenty of excuses, uh reasons, over my nearly forty years and eventually it becomes habitual. It’s the first thing in your mind and before you know it, it’s out the mouth.

This is one of those things I’ve reflected on and have wanted to change for some time. And I believe it’s birthed out of a few things. First, it’s a matter of the heart. If our heart is full of restriction, lack, doubt, greed, lust and selfishness, we won’t see beyond what God has given us to use to help someone else. We may even be willing to help but oftentimes won’t even know someone else has a need. We are just so blinded to anything else in the world outside of our own little shell. And the more we turn inward the more the shell becomes empty.

I also believe there is an aspect of timing and cycles. If there is a time to sow and there’s a time to reap, then I also believe there is a time to give and a time to receive. I know I maybe stepping on someone’s theology here and that we should be recipients from the Lord to distribute unto this land. But hear me out. I’m not saying that we shouldn’t be in a position to give if the situation arises. But if we can’t receive from others, I believe we can’t truly give to others either. If you can’t allow someone else to experience the joy of giving, how can you ever appreciate what someone experiences when you bless them with your gift? If it’s just about giving all the time, then your satisfaction comes through a selfish desire to feel good that you gave. It’s not about what that other person received from you and the joy they are experiencing of a prayer being answered. I’ve only walked through a couple of significant times where I allowed myself to receive from someone else and there were probably many more that I should have walked through. But I believe we go through times in our lives where God wants us to see His Love shone to us from others.

The third aspect is focus. Whatever we focus our time, energy and resources on will produce the fruit of our lives for the next cycle. It’s easy to get focused on the news headlines of today and all the despair around us. From the economic issues to the terrorist attacks in India, to the (debatable) global warming and the looming layoffs. Or we can focus on God’s Word to us and strengthen our foundation in Him. His Word tells us he will never leave us nor forsake us; that we have a hope and a future, one of blessings in all areas – spiritual, physical, mental, and financial. He has plans to prosper us; for good not harm. But with all of these, they come with a condition for us to seek Him with all of our hearts. In other words have the focus of a laser. A laser is focused light that can cut through virtually anything or be as delicate to operate on the eye. That kind of focus, commitment and bulldog tenacity will bring you to the best He has for you. If you’re anything like me, you’ll find it’s better than anything you could do on your own!

If you’re like me, it’s easy to have the reasons not to, but let’s make a difference in making a reason of why to. The time is ripe; there are people all around us that have a need. It may be the greatest time of need since the early 1900’s. Will you focus your attention on God and let Him direct your steps in how to reach out to someone and show His Love for them? And if you’re in a difficult situation where you have a need, will you let someone in that can share God’s Love for you?

2 comments:

Avily Jerome said...

Wow, yeah!

How easy it is to be so absorbed in our own issues that we don't take time to do little things for others!

But, although giving doesn't just have to be financial, I think it's also important to remember the financial aspect.

God promises if we give to Him, He will open His storehouse and pour out blessings on us. No matter how little we have- and with the economy the way it is, that's becoming less and less- there's always someone who is less fortunate than we are.

What better to remember God's gift to us than by sacrificially giving back to Him?

Thanks for the post, Jeff!

Lori Laws said...

Hi Jeff,

Really good post. Something struck me when you wrote about being willing to receive and not only give...when I first started w/ my disability (Muscular Dystrophy), I refused any help from others. I was determined to do everything on my own. A new, godly friend told me that I was robbing someone of a blessing by refusing help. That was pretty profound!

God bless!